It’s a frightening fact of business life that we spend six times as much money attempting to attract new customers to our businesses than we do to up-sell, on-sell and generally over service our existing customers.
Another frightening fact…
68% of customers who stop buying from an organisation do so not due to price, poor quality or unreliable service but simply because of PERCEIVED INDIFFERENCE.
Meaning.....the business actually didn’t do anything wrong, the customer just thought the organisation didn’t care enough about them or value their business.
In today’s competitive world does it not seem crazy that you can deliver:
- the RIGHT product or service
- deliver this on time
- meet or even exceed the client’s demands
...yet still LOSE that client?
Does this not seem CRAZY to you? Are you at risk due to Perceived Indifference?
It doesn’t matter if your service is WORLD CLASS, remember this is “Perceived” Indifference.
You fought hard to get that customer or client, you listened carefully to their needs, wants and demands. You provided EXACTLY what they were looking for, WHEN it was needed, and spent many a sleepless night doing it. Then the guy down the road gets the client.
The good news is, it’s NOT difficult to prevent this and it is possible to have your customers shout your name from rooftops telling people why, if they’re not dealing with you, they’re missing out on something brilliant.
Here are some simple tips that you can introduce in your business today. They will help you keep your customers coming back, bringing their friends with them.
- Send them THANK YOU CARDS....It’s staggering the number of businesses that don’t say Thank You for the Business.
- Maintain PERSONAL REGULAR CONTACT....In today’s digital world there’s no excuse for not providing several nice “touches” to keep in regular contact with your customers. This could be via Personalised email (NOT an e-shot), Linked IN Message, Letter, Phone Call… there’s many more. Anything that reaches a mass audience is NOT Personal Regular Contact.
- Remember EVENTS....Depending on your product or service remembering key dates in business and personal events is a great way of adding a professional touch.
- CALENDAR EVENTS. Rarely a month goes by without some celebrated event. If you love your customer send a Valentine’s Card. How many events can you think of this year, 20?
- VIP EVENTS. Make your customer feel special and appreciated by running and inviting them to Special Events, Previews, Product Launches etc. Think about what you can offer in your business.
- GIFTS. Gifts can be awkward in today’s business world, and in many cases best avoided. It’s also easy to offend. However, a Thank You Card with some Flowers is a nice touch.
PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID, BUT THEY WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL.
Try to implement just a few of these tips. As the business owner you must lead by example as your team does everything you do.
If you care for your customers, your customers will care for you and help you to grow your business. It is a simple as that.
Here are the statistics for why Customers are lost. Only 9% is due to PRICE, isn’t that interesting?
- 4% Natural attrition (moved away / business closed etc)
- 5% Referred to a competitor by their friend
- 9% Competitive reasons (price)
- 14% Product/Service dissatisfaction
- 68% Perceived Indifference
Make a list now of what your business currently offers to make your customer feel appreciated and valued. Is it enough?
How will you know?
Try ASKING THEM!!!
Get in touch if you want to learn more about the ActionCOACH Ladder of Loyalty Customer Service System, the system that helps create Raving Fans for your business.